This unique fundraiser uses fashion as a platform for education and awareness around the realities of modern slavery as well as a space to celebrate the power of everyday purchases to support freedom.
This year Bead & Reel's Fair Trade Fashion Show will benefit Free the Slaves, an international nonprofit dedicated to liberating slaves and changing the conditions that allow slavery to persist. FTS currently works in six countries around the world -- Haiti, Ghana, DRC, Senegal, Nepal, and India. The organization believes in a multi-faceted approach to fighting slavery, but one key action needed to combat this horrible crime is for businesses to clean up their supply chains and consumers to demand slavery-free products like fair trade fashion.
Started in 2015, the Fair Trade Fashion Show Fundraiser brings together industry leaders, artisan fashion, and the local Los Angeles community to provide solutions to global issues.
past PANELISTS, SPEAKERS, and honorees
- Elizabeth Cline, author, Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion
- Andrew Morgan, documentary filmmaker, The True Cost
- Paul Freedman, Emmy award winning director, Merci Congo
- Dr. Hope Ferdowsian, author, activist, and human rights doctor
- Breeda Wool, actress, writer
- Elisabeth Kadesi, CEO of We Are The Voice
- Nina Francisco, Global Ambassador for Empowering a Billion Women by 2020
- Sam Bills, Executive Manager of Ten Thousand Villages
- Lisette Mibo, international model and founder of Passion for the Motherland